Thursday 26 January 2012

Marriage from a Bachelorette’s eye Part-II


It’s a boring Monday morning. I wonder how people find Monday’s to be fresh & exciting. Its 11.30 am and no prizes for guessing that I am still in bed! Although I woke up early but didn’t feel like moving my butt yet. I don’t know why but I have this special hatred towards Monday and especially mornings. Many times I feel that I would have been some destructive nocturnal animal in my last incarnation, whose reminiscence is still there in me. Oh gosh! I have started brooding like everyone else does when they find me in bed till so late. I think it’s the environment that’s affecting me now. I am pretty sure it won’t last more than a few minutes. I wish it doesn’t.

Wedding bells are ringing. Everyone, of my age, I know, is getting married. My friends, cousins, distant relatives, etc. As the repercussion of this season, all the elders in your family are bitten by the ‘marriage bug’.  I wish I could keep my family immune from this bug by using some marriage debug solution! Alas! There is nothing that I can do.

“Aren’t you awake?” Screeched a loud voice outside my door. Aghast, I ran into the washroom to avoid myself from early morning (well I woke up just now so its early morning for me) chiding from Ma. “What will you do after your marriage? Is this the way to behave? You are 24 now.” “I am still 23.” I interrupted my furious Ma. “And I am awake and brushing my teeth. See you downstairs in an hour.” “In an hour?” Ma yelled on the top of her voice. “Is that how long you going to take to have your bath? Your In-laws will throw you out of the house.” “Whose going their? I am here with you Ma.” I said while coming out of the washroom and giving her a tight hug. “Is this the way beta?” She said in a mellowed down tone. The hug did the trick! It’s the best way to calm down Ma.

The phone rang and I answered, “Hey! How are you? What’s the plan for the day?”

“Let’s meet up in half an hour?”

“Ahh.. Can we meet after 1 and half hour?” I said with hesitation of being chided again.

“Why? Are you busy or still asleep?” He said with a taunt.

“Do I sound sleepy?” I replied with irritation.

“Then why do you need 1 and half hour?”

“OK. I just woke up and need time to get ready.”

“I knew it. When are you going to change Ridhima?”

“I don’t know. If you want to meet then let’s meet up after 1 and half hour else leave it.”

“Ok fine. I’ll meet u after 1 and half hour.”

That was Manav, my boyfriend. We are into a relationship since past 3yrs but we have known each other since the time we were in our diapers. We are ‘chuddi-buddies’ aka diaper friends. Manav understands me more than myself. He proposed to me when we were in final year of our graduation. We share a very healthy relation with less of fights as he understands me well and takes care of me in the best possible way and I too love it that way!

Of late he too has joined the league of people who keep chiding me for my behavior. I feel I am wrong only when he stands on the other side. And I hate the sight of him standing on the opposite side. I have been avoiding him from 2 days. Precisely since the day Tanya broke the news of her engagement.

“Hi. Finally you are here.” Manav greeted me with a smile.

“Hmm.. How are you? I am sorry I am late.” I replied with a fake smile.

“What’s the matter with you? Why are you looking pale?” His voice showed the concern.

“Nothing. I am absolutely fine.” I answered with a very broad smile.

“Oh come on! Stop giving me that ‘small wonder’ smile of yours.”

Damn! He understands me so well that it becomes so difficult to lie to him.

“Why were you not taking my calls since so many days?”

“Its been just 2 days Manav.”

“Oh! So 2 days are now ‘just’ 2 days for you.”

“Don’t over react. I wasn’t keeping well so…”

He interrupted in between, “You were not well? Since when have you started ignoring me in your sickness Ridhima? Didn’t you always call me up when you didn’t feel well?” He was too upset now.

I held his hand and said, “I am sorry sweetheart. Please forgive me.”

“Ok but please don’t do such things. I was so worried.”
I feel blessed to be a girl in these kind of situations. It becomes very easy to please a guy. If the situation would have been other way round, poor Manav would have to convince me for 4 days at least!

“So did you think about it?”

This is the thing I was avoiding, I wondered. “Think what Manav?”

“You said you need time to think. I wonder what you need the time for.”

“No I haven’t thought about it yet.” I replied in a lame voice to make it obvious that I am disinterested.

“Don’t you want to marry me?” He yelled in despair attracting attention of the people around.

Embarrassed, I replied, “Calm down Manav. What’s wrong with you? We are in a public place. Please stop attracting undue attention that too in this way.”

 “Don’t tell me what to do. I am very displeased with your attitude. You never think about me, for you it’s always about you. I don’t exist for you at all.”

“It’s not the way you are thinking sweetheart. I think about your welfare too and that is the reason I demanded some time. I am not yet ready for marriage and if I won’t b happy then how will I keep you happy?”

“We know each other since we were born Ridhima. Don’t be so unreasonable. What do you need time for? We love each other. You always wanted a love marriage, didn’t you?”

Discussion about love and arrange marriage makes me feel like asking, “Would you like to commit suicide or would you prefer to be murdered!”

Tanya’s engagement landed me into this soup. I am not blaming her but her engagement excited Manav about our marriage which, according to him, is the obvious outcome of our relation. He knows that I am not keen about marriage and so since 2 days we have been fighting over this topic.

After reaching home I started thinking about it, about my MARRIAGE.


No comments:

Post a Comment